Curriculum Policy and Major Education Reports
Western Australia – Key Documents – the 2005 Context
Curriculum Framework for Kindergarten to Year 12 – 1998
- Presented by the Curriculum Council to the Western Australian Minister for Education in 1998.
- Sets out the principles, rationale and framework for the new outcomes-focused curriculum direction for all K-12 education in Western Australia.
- Begins with an explanation of the Key Features and Structure of the Curriculum Framework. It then outlines the seven Key Principles underpinning the curriculum framework, the thirteen Overarching Learning Outcome Statements, and the overall Scope of the Curriculum Framework.
- Organised under the eight Key Learning Areas, with each Learning Area section providing: a Definition and Rationale for the Learning Area Statement; the Key Learning Outcomes; the Scope of the Curriculum (including developmental phases); a section on Learning, Teaching and Assessment; and Links Across the Curriculum (to other learning areas).
- Designed for use in conjunction with the Outcomes and Standards Framework Overview - Student Outcome Statements (1998) published by the Education Department of Western Australia.
Outcomes and Standards Framework Overview - 1998
- Designed to directly accompany the Curriculum Framework for Kindergarten to Year 12 Education in Western Australia (1998).
- Organised via the eight Key Learning Areas, providing a concise overview of the Student Outcome Statements and Levels (1-8) for the Strands and Substrands in each area. Each Learning Area section begins with a brief introduction to the area’s outcomes and how they relate to the Curriculum Framework. Following this are tables that include level descriptors for each Strand.
- Designed to function as a monitoring/planning tool for schools/teachers when designing outcomes-focused learning programs.
N.B An updated version of this document was released in 2005, which included changes to the structure and terminology of the Student Outcome Statements. The changes were the result of a 2002 review of the Student Outcome Statements by the Western Australian Curriculum Council.
Focusing on outcomes: Curriculum, Assessment and Reporting - 1999
- Organised into three parts: curriculum provision, assessment, and reporting.
- Designed to provide guidance, to schools and teachers, regarding the move towards, and implementation of, outcomes-based education.
- Each part includes illustrative case studies from Western Australian schools, which include samples of assessed student work and assessment/reporting proformas.
- Designed to compliment the Curriculum Framework for Kindergarten to Year 12 in Western Australia (1998) and the Student Outcome Statements: Overview (1998).