Curriculum Policy and Major Education
New South Wales – Key Documents – the 1975 Context
Report of the Committee Appointed to Survey Secondary Education in New South Wales (Wyndham Report) – 1957
- Encompasses proposals for a system of general secondary education of four years for all adolescents in comprehensive schools.
- Discusses eight objectives of education including: Health, Mental Skills and Knowledge, Capacity for Critical Thought, Readiness for Group Membership, The Arts of Communication, Vocation, Leisure and Spiritual Values.
- Recommends a 'common core' of the curriculum: English; Social Studies; Science; Mathematics; Art; Crafts; Physical and Health Education; Religious Education.
- Recommends the abolition of entry examinations for high schools.
- Recommends the establishment of the Secondary Schools Board.
- Recommends the introduction of the Higher School Certificate and the School Certificate.
- Recommends the extension of secondary schooling from five to six years, with external examinations at the end of the fourth year (School Certificate) and the sixth year (Higher School Certificate).
Full report available